Bernadette initially pursued a career in law, at one point working with one of the top hedge funds in the world. She went on to change careers and lectured for a time before starting The Volte, a women’s fashion rental business which has been referred to as the Airbnb of fashion.
Bernadette founded The Volte with her sister and two friends, which are also sisters. And they’ve gone on to create one of the highest growth startups in Australia. The Volte is helping women to look their best at events, monetise their wardrobes and dramatically reduce the impact fashion has on the environment.
If you’d like to learn how to spot a gap in the market. If you’d like to learn how to start your own business and scale it rapidly while also maintaining really strong relationships, then this episode is for you!
WHAT TO LOOK FOR IN THIS EPISODE
- Early career moves including working for a top hedge fund (02:21)
- Why academia wasn’t for Bernadette (11:45)
- Alternative business plans including frozen yoghurt (14:40)
- Creating The Volte (15:50)
- The keys to a great founding team (16:30)
- Launching The Volte (17:30)
- Building out the team (19:20)
- Creating early traction (24:50)
- Crafting a strong marketing strategy (27:00)
- The keys to growing the business over 400% in 2018 (29:50)
- The importance of taking the time to hire right (31:00)
- The value in encouraging team members to practice self-care (31:40)
- Key learnings from the challenge of covid (32:20)
- Making better decisions using cool heads and data (34:20)
- What Bernadette would do differently if starting again (35:15)
CONNECT WITH BERNADETTE & THE VOLTE
CONNECT WITH CAM